Purpose of the course: The course allows the student to deal with one of the main phases of the artistic and artisan ceramic production process: decoration.
Although the course is at a basic level, every technical and technological aspect concerning decoration will be addressed and developed so that the student can experience all practices.
What you will learn: The student will learn the basics of ceramic decoration to start moving in the world of the ceramic manufacturing profession. He/she will learn the notions necessary to start their own professional path alongside the professionals of the sector.
Artifacts: All the artifacts made by the students are their property and will be handed to them at the end of the course.
Certification: Certificate of attendance and participation and the training booklet of the Centre for Ceramics Experimentation of Montelupo.
- Technological specifications
- Analysis of the main ceramic coatings (Maiolica, Slip, Invetriata)
- Analysis and basic specifications of the main mixtures in relation to the application of coatings
- Colours and their application in relation to the type of coating
- Technique and use of pigments
- Basic technology
- Basic preparation of the main coatings: crystalline , glaze, colour, pigment / dye.
- Knowledge of further decoration techniques on ceramic (laser engraving, photoceramics, decal) and third firing (metals and lustres)
- Firing: stacking techniques for the second glaze or crystalline firing
- Firing: operating temperatures for the first, second and third firing
- Studio management and regulations
- Workplace management
- Management of water recycling system, waste disposal, special waste management
- MOCA regulation (articles and objects in contact with food)
- Any guided visits to companies and museums
- Knowledge of the main equipment for the application of coatings and decoration (dipping pliers, spray booths, brushes, etc.)
- Furnaces and operating temperatures
- Freehand drawing on paper
- Construction and realization of traditional Montelupo decorations
- Design of specific decoration for open and closed form
- Application of coatings
- Preparation of the coating: glaze / crystalline
- Checking the density of the coating
- Application of glaze on biscuit fired ware by dipping and spraying
- Application of crystalline on biscuit fired ware by spraying
- Pictorial decoration
- Excercises for the realization of swirls by brush on flat or vertical biscuit fired objects
- Exercises of swirls on biscuit fired ware and on glaze
- Consideration of the drawing to be transferred to the support and reference techniques
- Drawing transfer by dusting with charcoal powder
- Brush decoration on biscuit fired ware and application of crystalline (decorations: scrolls, curls and simplified decoration; Persian palmette; little apples; peacock feathers; blue leaf, fruit, human figures, scenes and coats of arms; local traditional decoration)
- Brush decoration on glaze
- Extra pictorial decoration
- Decoration with soap bubbles
- Sketch decoration
- Decoration with sponges and moulds
- Decoration with stencils
- Alternative decorations to painting
- Decorations on bisque ware and slip (sgraffito)
- Decorations generated with special machines (laser engraver, 3D) and their application on ceramic ware