Purpose of the course: This workshop allows you to approach professional design through 2D drawing of ceramic objects and products, also with formal and decorative design aspects. This allows the student to understand the technical complexity and creative, expressive potential of such activity by following an itinerary of activities under the guidance of professionals in the sector.
What you will learn: The student will be confronted with the creative potential of the design process in 2D through learning the complexities of formal and decorative design aspects, in order to reach a basic knowledge allowing you to design lines of ceramic artefacts with a view to the idea of manufacturing production.
Artifacts: All products and drawings made by the students are their property and will be handed to them at the end of the course.
Certification: Certificate of attendance and participation and the training booklet of the Centre for Ceramics Experimentation of Montelupo
CERAMIC TECHNOLOGY (theoretical-practical)
- Techniques of producing ceramics as a process to allow the design of artefacts and decorations
- Terminology and types of artisan, artistic and industrial ceramics;
- Analysis of the clay mixes (majolica mix, flame mix, refractory mix, earthenware mix, high temperature clay mixes)
- Analysis of the base coatings (majolica / glaze, glazed, terracotta, porcelain, stoneware)
- Basic techniques and product defects: possible defects in the bisque ware, terracotta, varnished etc. phases.
- Basic regulations for opening a small ceramic studio
- Analysis of current and advanced technologies applicable in the ceramic sector for decoration and creation of objects: laser, 3D, inkJet etc.
- Management and cleaning of the workplace
- Practical lessons
- Freehand drawing of classic shapes of ceramic objects: whole, section, appendages etc.
- 2D design exercises for ceramic objects: freehand and with IT support
- Design exercises for surface decorations for manual application on ceramic products
- Design exercises for surface decorations to be carried out mechanically and / or semi-automatically for ceramic products
- Practical demonstration and models for the realization of the designed products.