Purpose of the course: The course allows you to enhance your skills in the basic techniques of ceramic restoration of broken objects, according to the latest techniques.
What you will learn: The student will learn techniques necessary for the formal, and where relevant decorative, restoration of ceramic objects in terracotta and objects painted with glazes and crystalline glazes. The course includes a first part dedicated to the reconstruction of the shape of the object with gluing and with substances suitable for its restoration to former state. The second part (optional) is for the reinstatement of decorative elements.
Artefacts: All the artefacts made by the students are their property and will be handed to them at the end of the course.
Certification: Certificate of attendance and participation and the training booklet of the Centre for Ceramics Experimentation of Montelupo
* All materials and objects necessary for the practical performance of the lessons are provided by the school and included in the price.
No study involving the conservation and restoration of archaeological materials is planned.
A) 64-hour COURSE: restoration, bonding and reassembly
- Introduction to the restoration of ceramics
- Introduction to ceramics (this lesson is carried out only if students without previous experience of restoration are withing the class group)
- Differences in interventions with different ceramic materials (terracotta, glazed, porcelain etc.)
- Introduction to cleaning and reinforcement techniques
- Reconstruction and gluing of the ceramic object
- Reversible bonding techniques
- Object cleaning techniques
- Final assembly of the object
- Filling in of missing parts
- Equipment and materials
- Knowledge of the necessary equipment for restoration
- Knowledge of the essential materials for reassembly and bonding
- Guided tours
- Museum of Montelupo Fiorentino ceramics
B) 16 hours COURSE: pictorial restoration * (supplementary course to that outlined above)
- Pictorial restoration
- Spreading colour on the background of the object
- Reconstruction of the decoration and subsequent retouching with a brush.